Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Hard to Believe


     that I’m already a quarter of the way through my life.
     
    that I’ll be done with college in four months.
     
    I’ll be back in the States by Saturday evening.

         Spain felt like home when I returned from England.
       
that no one else in this country needs dryers.

  how racist Spain unconsciously is (they have a cookie called “Filipinos”
 that has white chocolate on the outside and brown cookie in the middle”)
                                
        that I've only been in Spain 24 days

                                    that I’ve been in Spain for 24 days already.

 how not racist England is compared to the United States. I realized how rarely young African American men are respectable in the United States when I registered surprise on seeing a many well-dressed African American men in the tubes.

 how cold Michigan is. Ew.

                                                                                                                                 how much I love chocolate

 how much someone can become a party of your life. Roommates, novios, parents, dogs. (The order of that list is arbitrary.) My life right now is different mostly because of who I’m with, not where I am. If you think about the stages in your life, I am willing to bet you’ll find a similar pattern.

  how great it is to have toilet paper in a bathroom.


But really what I mean to say has already been said in Life of Pi.

“Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer. What is your problem with hard to believe?” 

1 comment:

  1. Minor detail: people in England are a bit hard pressed to be African-American ... I really couldn't figure out the proper expression. In Australia, it's PC to say "black," but I can't quite feel right about that generally take the roundabout "well, we'd say he's African-American in America" route.

    And amen on that dryer point -- Australians don't use them either. Have them, but look down on you atrociously if you attempt to use one.

    ReplyDelete